K300 race field already at 15 mushers
The Kuskokwim 300 Race Committee announced last week that 15 mushers have officially registered so far for the 2014 Kuskokwim 300.
2014 marks the 35th annual running. Here's who's signed up so far:
1) 9-time champion Jeff King
2) Norwegian Joar Ulsom, racing in his 2nd K300
3) 2013 4th place finisher, Cim Smyth
4) Aniak's own Richie Diehl , the 2012 winner of the Best in the West Award
5) 2012 champion Rohn Buser
6) Two-time champion Martin Buser
7) Steve Watkins, racing in his first K300)
8) Kristy Berington, returning for her 2nd K300
9) 2011 Champion Paul Gebhardt
10) Tony Browning, 2013 2nd place finisher
11) Akiak's own Mike Williams Jr., who finished in 2nd place in 2011 and won the Best in the West Award that same year
12) Local legend Mike Williams Sr., racing in his 25th K300
13) 23-time Iditarod musher Tim Osmar
14) Canadian Warren Palfrey racing in his 1st K300
15) 1995 champion Ramey Smyth?
Before the race gets underway, however, the K300 committee will host the Holiday Classic on Dec. 21, and a brand new challenge on Dec. 28. The new event is a 100-mile race from Bethel to Tuluksak and back. Both of these races are open to all mushers and both will have a $10,000 purse. Start times and trail routes for both races will be announced closer to the start dates.
The 2014 Kuskokwim 300 starts on January 17, 2014.
For more information about these races, contact race manager, Zach Fansler at 907.545.3300?