Send this article to Promobot

Chieftains end Lynx's title hopes with 2OT thriller

March 22nd, 2013 | Tommy Wells Print this article   Email this article  

The Noatak Lynx would have made Gen. George Patton proud on Monday afternoon. They went out in a blaze of glory.

Noatak saw its' hopes of capturing the 2013 Class 1A state basketball championship come to a tough end in the quarterfinal round of the state basketball tournament at Sullivan Arena in Anchorage with a heart-rending 58-57 loss to the Klawock Chieftans in double overtime.

Klawock, which had led by as many as six points early in the game, outscored Noatak by a 3-2 margin in the second 4-minute overtime period to claim the win.

After the two teams had played to a 55-55 deadlock after the first OT frame, the Lynx managed to grab the upper hand. Just 23 seconds into the second overtime, Edward Wesley stepped to the free throw to sink a pair of shots that staked Noatak to a 57-55 lead.

Unfortunately, the Chieftains had an answer. Klawock's Matthew Peter drained the Chieftains' lone basket of the extra frame, hitting a three-pointer that gave the Chieftains a berth in the semifinal round.

Klawock got off to a quick start against the Lynx. The Chieftains outscored Noatak by a 13-7 clip in the first 6:02 of play.

The Lynx managed to get their offense in gear late in the first. Derrick Adams led a 6-0 run in the final 1:39 of the period by throwing in five points, including a three-pointer with 11 seconds left in the opening frame.

Klawock picked up the momentum in the second. The Chieftains outscored the Lynx by a 14-6 margin in the second and took a 27-20 lead into the half.

Anthony Ashby and Ralph Stalker Jr. helped the Lynx pick up their game in the third. The two combined to score 11 points in the third quarter and led a 17-10 run that knotted the score at 37-37 at the start of the fourth quarter.

Ashby, who tallied seven of his team-high 26 points in the frame, banged home a basket with 15 seconds left in the third to tie the contest.

Ashby made sure the Chieftains weren't able to run away in the final eight minutes. He led a 14-point fourth-quarter run by pumping in 10 points, including a three-pointer at the 7:30 mark of the frame that staked the Lynx to a slim 40-39 advantage.

Klawock rallied back, scoring a 12-8 edge over the next six minutes to build a 51-48 lead.

Ashby delivered again for the Lynx from there, sinking a long-range three-pointer that send the game into OT.

Stalker, who finished the game with nine points, and Ashby both scored in the first OT frame and enabled the Lynx to force an extra period.

Adams finished the contest as the Lynx's third-leading scorer with eight points.

With the loss to Klawock, the Lynx fell into a consolation round matchup against the Toksook Bay Islanders on Tuesday.

Noatak advanced to the quarterfinal round with a 55-49 come-from-behind win over the Birchwood Christian Warriors on Saturday in the first round of the 16-team Class 1A tournament.

The Lynx, after falling behind by a 29-24 clip at the half, used a 19-7 run in the third quarter to dispose of Birchwood Christian.

Ashby and Stalker both turned in stellar outings for Noatak in the win. Ashby poured in a game-high 21 points while dishing out eight assists and grabbing six steals. Stalker finished with 16 points.


Copyright 2018 The Arctic Sounder is a publication of Alaska Media, LLC. This article is © 2018 and limited reproduction rights for personal use are granted for this printing only. This article, in any form, may not be further reproduced without written permission of the publisher and owner, including duplication for not-for-profit purposes. Portions of this article may belong to other agencies; those sections are reproduced here with permission and Alaska Media, LLC makes no provisions for further distribution.