Send this article to Promobot

Kiana's Smith pleads not guilty to charges

October 12th, 2012 | Hannah Heimbuch Print this article   Email this article  

Teddy Smith, 45, of Kiana, pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges at his court arraignment in Nome last week. His bail is set at $500,000, and his trial is set for January.

Smith, known outside of his hometown for playing one of the lead roles in the feature film "On the Ice," accrued a list of charges in September beginning in Kiana in early September.

The exact events surrounding it are still under investigation.

Smith's mother, Dolly Smith, 74, a respected Kiana woman, passed away at her home on Sept. 7. Alaska State Troopers marked the death as suspicious, but have yet to elaborate on what exactly that means.

According to Trooper reports, Teddy Smith was intoxicated and armed while at his mother's house, and when first responders arrived, fired a gun toward a group of people.

A warrant was issued for his arrest on assault and weapons misconduct charges, and the troopers initiated an investigation into Dolly Smith's passing.

Smith was not seen again until nearly two weeks later.

According to trooper reports, Charles Buckel, Jr., 47, of Michigan, and Paul Buckel, 46, of Kotzebue, arrived at a small cabin upriver from Kiana on a Tuesday evening in late September. They found another man already occupying the space, but the interaction did not turn troubling until an hour after the men had arrived.

The man, later identified by troopers as Teddy Smith, shot Charles Buckel in the chest, then ordered Paul to load the hunters' raft with their gear. Smith departed with the two men's transportation and hunting equipment, shooting Paul Buckel in the shoulder before he left.

The injured men were able to radio for help from a VHF in the cabin. Troopers responded at daylight the next day to medevac both men for immediate medical attention.

Later that day, the Buckels' inflatable raft was spotted from the air, five miles downriver from the cabin. Troopers from Kotzebue convened in Kiana with members of the Special Emergency Reaction Team, and community members familiar with the area. They staged both air and water craft approximately 16 miles from Kiana, up the Squirrel River.

Smith faces attempted murder, theft and robbery charges as a result of that confrontation.

The two brothers are reportedly recovering from their wounds.


Copyright 2018 The Arctic Sounder is a publication of Alaska Media, LLC. This article is © 2018 and limited reproduction rights for personal use are granted for this printing only. This article, in any form, may not be further reproduced without written permission of the publisher and owner, including duplication for not-for-profit purposes. Portions of this article may belong to other agencies; those sections are reproduced here with permission and Alaska Media, LLC makes no provisions for further distribution.